Now, who wants to head for the hills? With easy access to the Forest of Dean and the Malvern Hills, walkers are spoilt for choice. But there’s also kayaking on the many meandering Wye Valley waterways or swinging from high wires in tree-top canopies at Go Ape. The quaint market towns of Ross-on-Wye and the more literary Hay-on-Wye are also worth exploring before heading back to begin the task of fire-making a pizza in the outdoor oven.
You’re only a hop, skip or a jump away from the stunning River Wye. Enjoy paddling on tiny pebbly beaches, wobbling on the swing-bridge or kayaking. Outdoor activities abound, from Pedalbikeaway Cycles (01600 772821) to Severnvale Llama and Donkey Trekking (01594 528482). For a high-wired forest adventure, visit ‘Go Ape!’ at Mallards Pike Lake (0870 4589078).
Things to do on site and around the Hereford Area
There’s plenty of fun to be had on site, from letting the kids play on the swings in the wood, to checking out the woodland’s bike tracks or the many footpaths close by. You can play a round of footie, have a badminton tournament or walk to a nearby pub for a meal out together.
Other great options include:
- making and cooking your own pizza
- den making
- animal spotting
In the area, you’ll also have a chance to browse Herefordshire’s black and white timbered buildings and see maps as they were in Medieval times with the Mappa Mundi.
Things to see and do nearby:
- Hereford Cathedral
- Hereford Cider Museum
- Hereford Museum and Art Gallery
- The National Trust’s Weir Garden
- Water sports in the Wye Valley
Walks in Hereford
This website www.walkinginengland.
Some but by no means all local attractions and activities are listed here below.
- Coach stations
- Ross on Wye: Cantilupe Rd Coach Stop — 5.7 miles
Hereford: Country Bus Station Commercial Rd — 6.0 miles
Pontrilas: Telephone Exchange Coach Stop — 9.1 miles
- Train stations
- Hereford Rail Station — 6.1 miles
Ledbury Rail Station — 11.5 miles
Colwall Rail Station — 15.2 miles
- Ferry ports
- Sharpness Old Docks — 19.1 miles
Lydney Harbour — 19.6 miles
- Gloucestershire Airport — 22.7 miles
- Goodrich Castle (7.6 miles)
- Caldicot Castle & Country Park (11.5 miles)
- Eastnor Castle (12.5 miles)
- Skenfrith Castle (8.4 miles)
- The Weir (9.3 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network – over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Ross-on-Wye – Wye Valley Walk – Chase Hill – Ross-on-Wye (5.5 miles)
- Goodrich – Coppet Hill – River Wye – Goodrich (7.4 miles)
- Garway – White Rocks – Garway Hill – Garway (7.5 miles)
Map of Local Attractions
Click on the map below to open an interactive map on the Pitchup website. Scroll down the page until you come to the map showing many of the local attractions and places worth visiting a short drive away. (opens in new window)